Saturday, May 31, 2008

Epson Action Laser 1500

OK, before I talk about anything else, I have to make a snide remark about the name 'Action Laser.' Seriously Epson? I can understand having 'laser' in the name, since it's a laser printer, but what about printing says 'action?' Action Laser sounds like the name on a particularly cheap dollar store toy whose Chinese manufacturer didn't spring for the good translators.

This is the second printer of the three I got a couple of weeks ago. It's also the largest of all of them (and probably approaching the size limit of anything I can get home without anything other than a bike), as well as the most enjoyable. The parts that looked like they should come off did for the most part, and without much fuss, and there were indeed a lot of parts.


Here it is in all its beige and bulky glory.


And here's the toner cartridge, which I removed and took apart before the printer itself.

I got a few parts out of it, but I didn't want to tear in to it with any gusto, for fear of spilling toner all over the place. A little bit leaked, but I was able to make short work of it with the vacuum cleaner and a wet paper towel.

Back to the printer itself, I started by removing the top access panel. There's even some parts to take off on that.


Taking that one panel off revealed a lot of parts, but I had to take the rest of the panels off to actually get at them.


I decided to keep this control panel mostly intact for the time being, much like the keyboard in the previously discussed typewriter, since it's easier to keep up with the whole unit rather than all the little parts.


The chassis of the printer, almost picked clean at this point.


I got a lot of parts out of this printer, so it was definitely worth the aggravation of having to carry it back on a bicycle.

No comments: