Saturday, May 17, 2008

Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 6p

The run-up to heavy trash day this month had a shockingly large crop of printers. Not just chump home printers, but large business machines. One is even a printer/fax. Of course the downside of large printers is getting them back to the apartment. They wouldn't fit in my big duffel bag, and I don't have a trailer or cargo rack for the bike, so I was reduced to balancing a printer on my seat as I walked the bike back. I have to wonder what passing drivers thought I was doing. Unfortunately, due to size and distance restrictions meant I could only nab three of the five printers I saw.

Teardowns of big printers like this are always entertaining, though this one was more toward the 'meh' end of the 'good' range, if that makes any sense. I got a decent amount of parts out of this, but it wasn't a very photogenic disassembly, so I didn't take many 'during' pictures of the process.

A view from under the hood, unfortuneately somewhat obscured by the glare of the metal strip in there. One of these days, I'm finally going to justify building some sort of diffuser for my overhead light.

The naked printer, without all the plastic panels. And I seem to recall some of the plastic not wanting to come off.

This is the standard wall of gears in pretty much every printer I've taken apart. The twist here is that it's covered up with a metal panel, which I could not for the life of me get all the way off. So while I managed to retrieve the bulk of the gears, there were a few that got away.

The chassis of the printer, just about stripped of salvageable parts.

There were quite a few parts that came out of this, as I mentioned earlier, so I split the pile into two photo groups. It's always nice when I'm forced to do that.

No comments: