Saturday, August 9, 2008

Electrolux Marquis vacuum cleaner

Since I added the tag feature on the blog a couple of weeks ago, I noticed it had been a while since I had posted a vacuum cleaner. As it happens, I have a vacuum cleaner in the backlog, so I might as well write an entry about it now. Besides, it breaks up the recent glut of printers and sewing machines.

I think this is a Marquis, but I'm not 100% sure. There aren't very many good pictures on the Internet of Electroluxes from its era (late 1980s), but the couple I did find that claim to be Marquis look pretty much just like this one. This particular specimen has plenty of scuff marks and scratches, so I'm guessing it had a long and storied career of cleaning up messes before finally giving up the ghost. Also, this is apparently one of the last models that had a metal body, before the switched over to plastic.

The front of the vacuum, with the housing removed. The control system looks fairly similar in principle to the older Silverado Deluxe I took apart last year.

Here you can see the see-saw-like on/off switch mechanism.

Not much to show for my efforts, but I do like the roller/knob parts on Electroluxes. I think they remind me of the wheels off some toy I used to have.

No comments: