Saturday, August 30, 2008

Compaq IJ700 printer

I generally don't like things that are asymmetrical just for the sake of being so. And in the context of this blog, appliances that are designed with asymmetry as part of the aesthetic. Obviously, there are some things that have to be asymmetrical, like a sewing machine, and you can only put the control panel one one side of something, but I'm talking about non-functional stuff. Part of it is just personal preference, and part of it is because symmetric pieces are easier for me to find uses for.

This Compaq (incidentally, I had forgotten they even made printers) is very subtle about not being symmetrical, until you examine individual parts. The tray at the top has a guide on just one side, the green button is a really wonky shape, and there are several other examples not evident in this picture.

This is another issue I had with this printer: all the extraneous plastic that was on top of the 'core' case.

Look at that little thing, compared to how big it was with the plastic still on.

I got a decent amount of parts. Not many gears, though; most of them didn't want to come out.

No comments: