Saturday, March 1, 2008

Brother 1034D overlocking machine

I'm doing two sewing machine entries in a row, despite having a few other things to write about. I picked this one up at the same time as the Speedy Lock int he last entry, so I have the two associated in my mind as a set, not unlike the Juki overlocking machines I wrote about last year. However, these two were different enough, and had enough salvagable parts to justify two entries.
Also, like the previous overlocking machine, this one is clearly marked as 'trash.' This just adds to my lumping it and the Speedy Lock together. The design of the case (and lack of yellowing of the plastic) makes me think this machine is probably no older than mid-nineties, which is pretty new compared to most of the others that get thrown out. I don't know if that says anything about the quality of Brother sewing machines or not. Incidentally, I didn't know Brother made sewing machines; I thought they just made typewriters and labeling machines.
It looks pretty scrawny outside of its plastic shell, sort of like how a bird looks without its feathers. Like many sewing machines, I can't dissect out most of the internal parts. I'm half tempted to not even mention that anymore since it's so common, and only focus on the times I can remove some of the mechanisms.
The thread control knobs were a nice surprise. While I couldn't think of what to do with most of the parts, I like the fact that each one had its own submechanism that I could take apart.
A decent parts haul for an overlocking machine.

No comments: