Saturday, March 22, 2008

Epson Stylus Photo 820 printer

Ah, heavy trash day. That special time of the month where people can throw away those big items that the regular garbage collectors would just leave on the curb. And more importantly, it's a time where the poor and/or frugal among us can nab some free goodies. I'm not ashamed to say I've partially furnished several apartments with furniture and repaired several bicycles with parts intercepted on their way to the landfill. And so, around every heavy trash day, I cruise the area and take mental notes of what's in the junkpiles. I have a standing 'want list,' including metal shelving, a better desk, bike parts, and, of course, dead electronics. Sometimes, I get lucky and I find several items worth scavenging (and small enough that I can take them back to the apartment). Other times, the pickings are slimmer.

This was one of those months. The printer in this entry was the only thing I found that was worth grabbing. Well, there was this other giant printer/fax, but I couldn't get it back to my place. However, I'll save any 'one that got away' rants for another day.

This was a dirty printer. You can see the filth covering it in the picture, but it doesn't really convey the full experience. That's not just dirt or dust on there, it's dirt held on by something sticky. It's like whoever owned this dunked it in soda, then didn't really make much of an effort to wash it off afterward. That may be a bad analogy since this was a different, more subtle stickiness. Whatever it was, I made damned sure to wash my hands thoroughly after I was done dissecting it.

The inside of the printer was much cleaner, though not really any more photogenic (though it would have helped if I had kept the camera steady). Standard inkjet innards.

And here are those innards, all layed out on the floor. Not bad on average, but I usually get more parts out of a printer.

No comments: