Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lexmark Z1300 printer

This is the first time I've taken anything apart that uses, for lack of a better term, an iPod-esque design. By that, of course, I mean clean minimalism and rounded right angles, as opposed to the quasi-organic looking and sometimes busy lines used on a lot of electronics over the past fifteen or so years. I have to imagine though that this won't be the last, since a lot of manufacturers seem to be adopting that kind of design language.

The first thing I noticed when I snagged this was how light it was. And by light, I mean cheap. Most desktop printers of this size have some heft to them, but this one almost felt like an empty case. I know that plastic construction does not automatically equal low quality, but this is a fairly new printer and already in the trash. So yeah...

The top of the body shell came off pretty easily. There doesn't look like much in the way of parts, but there were actually a decent amount.

See that brown thing in the middle of the picture? That's a roach. A live one, in fact, and I got this far in taking the printer apart before I saw it. Taking this picture was immediately followed by taking the printer outside and shaking the roach out (squashing it would just have made a mess).

The printer, sans body case.

Decent parts haul, and fortunately not a roach turd to be found.

No comments: