Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hewlett Packard OfficeJet printer/fax machine

No entry last week dues to computer issues. Different issues this time, though.

I saved the best of the three printers from last heavy trash day for last. In fact, this one's not just a printer, it's got a fax function too. My dad has one of these (or one very close to it, anyway), and it always seemed like it'd be fun to take apart. Turns out, it actually was, except for the screws, which I'll get to later.

This wasn't the biggest of the three printers, but it was still a pain to bring back to the apartment.

The fax control panel came off as a single piece (other than the wires holding it to the rest of the printer), though it took a while to get it that way, if I remember correctly, because of the screws used on this printer. The plastic housing parts were held on with Torx head screws, and the only Torx screwdriver I have was about one size too small. I'm lucky that I didn't strip any of them out.

Further into the disassembly. From here on out, it's pretty much like taking any printer apart, so the fax part was sort of like a bonus.

It was a fun breakdown, but it wasn't a complete one. This picture shows more or less where I had to give up since parts just wouldn't come off anymore. Not for lack of trying though; I really wanted those big rubber rollers.

I'd say that's a pretty decent trophy pile.

No comments: