Saturday, December 15, 2007

Singer Model 719 sewing machine

Yet another sewing machine. It's getting a little monotonous, but I have no control over what the trash piles will yield. Taking the same kinds of things apart over and over is still preferable to not having anything to take apart. Besides, this was one of those rare sewing machines that came most of the way apart.


I can't tell if this is an older machine, or a relatively recent one with retro or non-updated styling. I'm leaning toward mid 1970s, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Either way, it's a nice, simple design that looks like what it does.

This is the most uncluttered mechanism I've ever seen in a sewing machine. I don't think the picture does it justice. It's the same as popping the hood on a car from the 1960s versus a modern car. there's a sort of no-frills elegant simplicity to it.

Removing the side panel (which I tried to do by prying until I realized there was another screw behind the Singer logo badge thing) revealed more parts, and another angle from which I could attack the screws and Allen bolts. There were a lot of parts that would actually yield to my efforts. Surprisingly enough, the two control dials wouldn't fully come out; I initially thought those would be some of the few things that would.

There were even a few things to remove underneath the bottom panel. And, yes, that is a pile of my shoes in the background.

For a sewing machine, that's a mighty pile of parts. The main parts of the mechanisms didn't come off, but I was amazed at how many little ones did. I seem to recall taking another Singer apart that looked similar, but I don't remember it giving up so many of its guts. Maybe it was a different model, or I just got lucky with this one. Also, it looks like I need to be a bit more careful with the camera; this picture is a little fuzzy and washed out, even for my fairly lax standards.

The final trophy pile is considerably smaller than the total amount of parts I took off, but not bad for a sewing machine. Why bother with the front panel? I like the texture of the design on the plastic.


ADDITIONAL NOTE: On the off chance anyone besides me reads this, I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks, so no new entries until around mid-January. However, I do plan to try to fix the crappy formatting on the previous entries.

No comments: