Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Juki 408 and 418 overlocking machines

I'm covering two separate machines here, which is something of a departure from normal, but they were so similar and there was so little actual disassembly that I might as well just have one entry for both.

These are overlocking machines. I've scrapped a couple of these before and just sort of assumed that they were compact, stripped-down versions of regular sewing machines. I now know, thanks to some quick internet research, that they are in fact designed to stitch on the edges of fabric, both to keep the fabric from ravelling and for decorative purposes. So I learned something new, which means this hobby isn't a complete waste of time.

On with the show, what there is of it. First, the 408 model:



The lack of a panel on the one side means this machine has been picked over to some degree. I can't imagine there was much to cannibalize off it in the first place though.
Here's a shot of the innards. Like so many sewing machines, there are plenty of fasteners that won't come undone, taunting me with the little parts they hold in place.
I really wanted that red dial. There's nothing special about it on its own, but the 418 has one just like it, and having two of something appeals to me a lot more than having just one. It's just more symmetrical that way. Anyway, the dial didn't yield to gentle pressure, so I applied more force and ended up breaking it. The plastic was kind of brittle. Oh well.

That's the one piece I saved off of the 408: the plastic side covering thing. You know, in case I ever need a plastic hinge.

Now here's the 418, which, I guess is ten better:

As you can see, it has a few things that the other one didn't, such as those cones for holding the thread. Nice shaped cones, but the type of plastic they're made of is too flexible to be useful to me.

I didn't bother to take pictures of the mechanisms inside of this one because it looked pretty much like the inside of the other one. Also, I didn't bother to try for the red dial on this one either.

Slightly bigger trophy pile for the 418, though not by much. That metal thing telescopes, so that might have a use. Might.

No comments: