Saturday, February 14, 2009

Smith-Corona manual typewriter

I'm surprised at how many typewriters I've found in the small swath of town that I patrol since I moved here. This is the third in a couple of years, and there was one other one I wasn't able to get. All the others were electrics, so I was even more surprised to see a manual.

Photobucket

This is very close to a typewriter I had (or had access to) as a kid. Had I thought I had a shot at cleaning it up, I would have tried, even just for the purpose of selling it off or giving it away. But this was so rusted up that it was likely beyond repair.

Photobucket

Since it was so rusted up, getting parts off was a pain, when they would come off at all. For instance, the first few rows of keys came off readily, but that bottom row just would not come off.

Photobucket

The bottom--less clean than it looks.

Photobucket

Taking this apart, or rather taking parts off of it, was essentially an hour or so of trying different screws, turning the typewriter around, and attacking it from a different angle. I finally quit around the point pictured.

Photobucket

I pulled more parts than this, but other than the buttons, I really didn't bother to save that many of them.

No comments: