Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 5440 printer

I'm not sure why, but I put off writing about this printer for a long time. I think I just thought it was boring. Boring to write about, anyway; I got a decent number of parts out of it, and I wasn't nodding off while taking it apart. I just haven't felt like writing about it for whatever reason. But I don't want to get lazy and just have a picture entry (a permanent one anyway), so here goes:

Photobucket
The design here is very uncluttered, but it falls more toward 'uninteresting' rather than 'sleek.'

Photobucket
A view of the printer head and the ink trays. I mainly took this picture, however, for the clearer shot of the model number.

Photobucket
Removing the top of the housing, you have the same parts-on-a-platter configuration common in most modern printers. The one unusual thing about the housing design is that the sides were separate pieces, the same as that little Lexmark I took apart some time ago.

Photobucket
Maybe I was too hasty in declaring this write-up boring. This is a pretty good cluster of gears: several of the same size, easy to remove, and if I'm not mistaken, not made out of that nylon-esque plastic that doesn't work with most paints or adhesives.

Photobucket
Photobucket
A pretty decent parts assortment. Also, you can see the side pieces of the housing I was talking about.

No comments: