Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 712c printer

I usually try to come up with some sort of introduction for the first paragraph, but I'm just not feeling it this week. At the moment, I can't really think of anything to say about broken printers that I haven't already said.

I'm not sure why, but there was just something boring about this printer. It wasn't huge and heavy, but it wasn't tiny and feather-light. There weren't a huge number of parts, nor were any of them especially interesting. Thus, I didn't take many pictures of the teardown process. But I think you can get the idea anyway.

I guess this is sort of interesting. I found the printer already with this damage, but I'm not really sure why someone would bother. There's not anything really valuable inside a printer, as opposed to, say a TV which has that copper coil around the CRT. Maybe some homeless guy thought there was a leprechaun inside. Maybe a kid with a screwdriver just wanted to vent some rage on something he could break without getting in trouble (assuming that this damage happened after the printer was in the junk pile). I don't know.

Access panel, but from the angle of the picture, I can't tell what was behind it anymore.

The exposed chassis of the printer. There weren't a lot parts that would come off, or were worth saving.

Weak. Even that junky Lexmark had more goodies in it than this.

No comments: