Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dirt Devil Can Vac

For the most part, dead vacuum cleaners aren't worth the trouble it takes to bring them back to the apartment. I can't even carry a full-size upright vac on my bike. I only grabbed ths little Dirt Devil, almost as an afterthought, because it was small and ther wasn't anything better being tossed out.


It's a fairly unremarkable vacuum, with the exception of the carrying strap. At least I think a strap is unusual. It may not be for all I know.
The wheels came off easily. There was no axle, but rather a round tab and slot system (or whatever the technical name for that is) that the wheel snapped into. I've seen that done on other small vacuum cleaners, and it always reminds me of how the wheels are attached to a lot of toys.

Those screw holes go deep, almost down to the midline of the vacuum. My screwdriver was barely long enough for several of them, and not quite long enough for the one at the front. I really ought to get a better set of screwdrivers. I had to use another screwdriver to pry that back piece off.
That sticker on the aforementioned back piece indicates that this vacuum cleaner was only ten years old. Maybe it was heavily used and just wore out, but ten years seems kind of young for it to quit working. My parents had the same vacuum for close to twenty years, and still keep it around as a backup for the newer one.



Once I exhausted what I could do with screwdrivers, I only had one other tool to use: the ground. I took the carcass out to the trashpile, then I smashed it on the pavement a couple of times to jostle the on/off switch loose. Not that it was that impressive a button, but the trophy count on this one was so low, anything was better than nothing. Plus it's fun to smash things.


Yep, that's it. Two buttons and the axle from the front piece.

No comments: