Saturday, November 24, 2007

Corningware blender

This blender sat on the bottom of my workbench for at least six months just gathering dust. I found it on top of a junkpile and grabbed it, but not as something to take apart. Instead, I wanted it for preparing ingredients for some...thermodynamic shenanigans. That particular 'science project' never came to fruition, so the blender has just sit there doing nothing and taking up space for months.

Incedentally, I didn't even know Corningware made blenders.
It still worked, but I wasn't just going to clean it up and set it in the kitchen. I have no idea where it's been, what's been in it, nor what might have leached into the soft plastics that might leach back out into a smoothie or puree. So no food, but I can't just send a working blender to appliance Valhalla without maiking it blend one last thing. Preferably something blenders were never designed to blend.
This is a leather belt that finally wore out last week. I wore this almost every single day for at least the past ten years. I got it when my Dad was going to throw it out for being worn out, so it's entirely possible that this belt is older than I am. Which means it's tough, and hopefully tough enough to kill a blender.

I put the belt in the cup, put on the lid, and hit the highest setting. Nothing. The blt was wrapped around the blades and they couldn't turn. It produced that straining motor smell that reminded me of my Mom's old Mixmaster. I ended up just running the motor and dipping the ends of the belt into the spinning blades. That still got caught in the blades a couple of times and made smoke come out of the blender.
I didn't grind the belt down to leather dust, but I did cause enough destruction to be satisfied, as you can see. Nor did I completely destroy the blender motor, since I decided I didn't want to risk tripping a circuit breaker.
I did mess up the teeth that spin the blades though. That's what was causing the smoke, not the motor as I first suspected.
I'm glad the belt-blending was as fun as it was, since the actual disassembly was rather dull. Not that I was surprised, as the base of a blender is basically a motor in a box, with a few buttons. I was surprised, however, at how flimsy the plastic of the case was. Corning is primarily a glass and ceramics company, so the cup was probably pretty good, but the base just didn't have the heft of a good blender. Come on Corning, you can make a better blender than this.

It also didn't appear to be built with disassembly and repair in mind, which in my experience is also a hallmark of cheaply made products. The motor looked like it was mounted in such a way that you can't get it out without destroying the plastic case. They didn't even have the decency to use reuseable wirecaps. Lame.
The amount of trophy parts I took is probably larger than it has a right to be. The quantity is much larger than the quality, as I have no idea what I will do with a bunch of chiclet-shaped buttons or the grey bottom piece with the oddly eyecatching vent design. Or any of it, really.

No comments: