Saturday, November 29, 2008

Husqvarna Classica 105 sewing machine

When I think of Husqvarna, I think of chainsaws. I do not think of sewing machines. Apparently, there's a whole family of companies with the Husqvarna name. I guess you learn something new everyday.

husq1

I've taken apart sewing machines from many different companies, and from several different countries, but this was the first time I got a hold of something by a Swedish brand. I was sort of interested to see if they designed any mechanisms or part configurations differently than the other machines I've taken apart.

husq3

husq4

Turns out they do. Or did for this model, anyway. Instead of the usual top panel that comes off to access the mechanisms, the side panels come off. It looks like, in some respects, this arrangement would be better for accessing parts to do repairs. I'm sure there's some trade-offs, otherwise everyone would build them like that.

husq5

I suppose that's about an average parts pile for a sewing machine, Swedish or not.

No comments: